Sunday, January 18, 2009

Arriving at Hebrew U..

So Wednesday morning, Chen drove me to the bus station and I took a bus from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Chen asked a nice man standing there waiting to help me with my luggage when the bus came. I asked him in hebrew if he was also going to Jerusalem and he responded in english, "yes, and I speak English too". I was relieved, but also a little disappointed because I want to use my hebrew and I wont unless I am really forced (and those moments are hard to find because so many people know enough english). Hopefully, after ulpan I will be able to hold my own in Hebrew despite this.
On the bus from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, I sat next to another girl (as you are supposed to sit girl-girl and boy-boy) and she was davening shacharit on the approx. 1-hour ride. This all makes sense, just very different from a commuter's bus ride in America. 
I arrive in Jerusalem.
Waiting for me at the bus station is Noam's sister Tehillah, my 20 year old first cousin (also a twin). Tehillah and I had met before when I was on Seminar in 2005. She and her sister took me around the mall the Saturday night of my host shabbat weekend, but I remember the language barrier being difficult for us. Now, Tehillah and I take a cab to Hebrew University on Mt. Scopus - הר הצופים. It was really nice for us to have time to chat a little. She escorted me inside and helped with my luggage and sat with me while I did some paperwork which was soooo nice of her! I am excited to get to spend more time with her and the rest of my cousins and family here in Israel.
Of course as soon as we walk into the Boyer Bldg which is home of Rothberg (the int'l program), I see people I know. Theise is sitting there in the lobby, along with Tobey, Penina, and Zach. And so the program begins, just as I expected it to, surrounded by people I know plus a few I don't and the next few hours devoted to refilling out paperwork that had already been sent in months prior. 
I finish everything and am off to my room. Turns out, I am living with 2 other Americans (one of whom coincidentally also goes to Maryland and was also on my flight) in addition to 1 Israeli girl and 1 Argentinean girl who made aliyah 4 years ago. (I'm hoping I'll be able to leave Israel with both my Hebrew and Spanish improved!)
After moving in, I meet up with other friends, walk around campus, meet people, and head to the mall with the whole group in order to buy things like towels and shampoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment