Sunday, February 22, 2009

Carlebach Moshav

For Shabbat, I and 5 friends went to Meva Modim - a moshav outside of Modi'in known as the Carlebach Moshav. It was founded by students and followers of Reb. Shlomo Carlebach. We had quite and interesting experience I guess. We were 6 of 21 guests staying at a rabbi's house there. He and his wife were of the original founders of the moshav. We went without much expectation as we really had no idea what to expect. It was a very nice shabbas. We got to know some new people - a few from Pardes, a few from Nevei, and a couple from other yeshiva. We ate a lot, sang a lot (although most tunes surprisingly we didn't really know). Kabbbalt Shabbat services were nice and full of singing and ruach and Havdalah was beautiful. 
Zayde - you would have really enjoyed seeing this one rabbi who led Havdalah. He wore a big furry hat and had a long grey beard.  He wore a long robe and looked like he walked out of a synagogue in Eastern Europe in the late 1800s. His voice was very hazzan-like and I know you would have liked to hear his havdalah. It was beautiful. 
Most of the people at the moshav spoke english and the whole place did not feel so "israeli", or even that "religious" but rather it felt much more "american" trying to preserve a simplistic spiritual lifestyle. I can definitely understand how they live their life together in this community, though I wish I could have learned a little bit more about the community thats there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment